Friday 27 May 2016

Whitsundays

After Fraser, I was off on another overnight bus to Airlie Beach for my tour of the Whitsundays!

I arrived the day before my tour so had plenty of time to chill at the lagoon with some friends from Fraser Island and catch up on some sleep in the sunshine. I'd booked to go on a tour with True Blue Sailing on the infamous Atlantic Clipper - speak to anyone about the clipper and they'll respond with "whoa, party boat" or "sausage fest". I was starting to worry what Charlie had booked for me! Fortunately, I ran into the group of Scottish girls I'd been surfing with in Byron who were also on the same boat and the ratio was pretty even with some really sweet boys on board (although we found out on the tour after there was a full boat with only 12 girls and 40 boys)!


Before we headed off a group of us went for a champagne breakfast at Fusion Café, starting as we meant to go on. Armed with goon, towels and sun cream, we headed to the clipper where we set sail through the islands and stopped off to jump off the boat and ride down the slide. Later we hit the goon until the earlier hours of the morning - perhaps not the best idea in reflection after the 6:30am wake up call on a very rocky boat. Needless to say, seasickness and a hangover are not the best combination. 


However, the hangovers were soon forgotten once we were dropped off on steady land at the stunning Whitehaven beach which is made up of the purest sand in the world - 98% silica. Even though the weather was unfortunately a little overcast, we were still able to appreciate the stunning beach, which is the 4th best beach in the world according to Tripadvisor! We then spent the afternoon snorkelling and sliding down the giant inflatable slide.


That evening the crew organised a 'Clipper Show' full of crazy challenges and fancy dress followed by another boat party for those of us who could stomach more goon. Had another snorkel the next morning before we made our way back to shore. It's sad to say taking my beautifully clean laundry out the tumble dryer was one of the highlights of the day. Finally there was an after party back on land with the crew and our clipper family. We were so lucky to have such a fantastic group of people and was pretty emotional saying up goodbyes the following day as everyone went their separate ways. Most people were up to Magnetic Island next but due to time constraints I took my final greyhound bus straight up to Cairns for my final stop on the East Coast.


No comments:

Post a Comment