Friday 18 March 2016

Week 25 - St. Patrick's Day

I'm writing this with a bit of a headache today, entirely brought on myself after last night's festivities for St Patrick's Day (I blame the leprechauns).

Niamh came to visit over the weekend which was lovely and I enjoyed showing her around Avignon. We made the most of the sunny weather and had a very French picnic of Brie and baguette in the park next to my apartment, then walked across to Ile de Barthelasse and visited the Palais gardens. She also got to make the most of my oven (not all that common in French apartments) as we made banana bread. Looks like we'll be doing a lot of baking in our house in Exeter next year! On Saturday afternoon we met up with the family I used to au pair for who were in Avignon for the day. They took us out for tea at Simple Simon, an amazing restaurant with the most incredible tea and pudding selection. It's probably a good thing for both my waistline and my bank balance that I didn't hear about this place sooner.


On Monday I walked over to Les Angles with Annie and Kate, another town just across the bridge. I can't say it was quite as pretty and tourist-friendly as Villeneuve but we still had a good walk.


One of my teachers was ill this week which meant I just had longer with my other classes. This can happen quite a lot when you turn up and get given a class to teach that you might not have prepared for, but somehow I managed to keep 25 8-year-olds entertained for an hour and a half (pro tip - Simon Says is always a good fallback).


There was loads going on for St. Patrick's Day in Avignon - the French do love their Irish bars. Rue de la Republique was packed with people drinking Guiness outside O'Neils. We had a few drinks at Brian's beforehand which was very festive thanks to all the hats, flags and face paint he'd brought with him from Ireland.


Off home to London now for an interview tomorrow but am also so excited to catch up with friends and family who I'm going to see for the first time in 2016!

A la semaine prochaine,

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment