Friday 11 March 2016

Week 24 - Trip to Toulouse

A visit to Toulouse and enjoying the Avignon sunshine.

After some serious post-skiing blues Niamh and I decided a weekend away was very-much needed so we spontaneously planned a trip to visit Toulouse, as neither of us had been before and we were keen to check out la ville rose.

Wine pong

On Friday I went round to Brian's for an evening of wine-pong and Chelsea's slutty brownies, before an early start to catch my car-share to Toulouse the next morning. I had a fun journey with a guy called David and his adorable 8-year-old daughter - we listened to heavy-electro, picked up a hitch-hiker and took in the views of the Pyrenees!

Since the trip was so last-minute, there were very few AirBnbs left available that weekend so we checked into a hostel instead which was pretty standard but very friendly - the receptionist had been a language assistant in Spain back in the day. We made the most of the short amount of time we had exploring the city's arty shops, beautiful architecture and coffee and cake. We also stumbled across the most amazing bakery that we'd both agree is probably one of the best we've found in France - white chocolate pain au chocolat, pizza in every topping, mini flavoured baguettes... this place had it all.





It was also the first Sunday of the month, which in France means FREE ENTRY to all museums. That was Sunday sorted. Eventually we said our goodbyes and took our respective BlaBlaCars home. The sweetest girl ever, Lorrie, drove me back to Avignon with two other passengers who were also so friendly and we all had great chats on the journey home.
Musée des Augustins

Caught up with Annie in Avignon on Monday followed by the standard Monday night music night at Red Sky with the girls. Somehow I always seem to go out on a Monday despite my hectic Tuesday.



At school I've been teaching the little ones the days of the week which has been a little tedious - there's only so many times you can sing Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... over and over. I absolutely love my older classes though. We've been doing the rooms of the house and, much to my entertainment, I've been able to ask them Where is Brian? For those of you that don't know, this is a French joke with the older generation who were taught English with the character Brian (see the sketch below).



I met some more people at tandem on Wednesday (more French friends, yay) and even made some friends at the gym!

With the weekends rapidly running out I'm staying put in Avignon and Niamh is coming to visit tonight (we really can't get enough of each other).

Bisous,

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment