Friday 4 March 2016

Week 23 - Making Local Headlines

Dealing with life as a local celebrity (jk)


Kate and I decided to be cultural this week and try visiting a museum in Avignon! I've only recently discovered that Avignon residents get free entry to loads of places around the town (including the famous Palais de Papes) on Sundays so the next weekend I'm here I'll definitely make use of that. We went along to La Fondation Calvert, an art foundation inside the walls which has some lesser known but still impressive pieces on its walls. There were quite a few old paintings of Avignon so it was interesting to see how the city's changed and try and work out where our apartments were in the paintings!


On Monday night I got a Facebook message from someone in Avignon. Strange, I thought, no mutual friends and I definitely don't recognise you. Had we met before? Had I been drunk and given this person my name? Intrigued, I replied asking whether we knew each other. "Y avait un article sur toi sur le journal hier". Aha, mystery solved! Regular readers of my blog will know I had an interview a few weeks ago with a journalist for the regional paper La Provence about my life working out here as a language assistant and it had finally gone to print. Give it a read here.

Everyone was out at Red Sky on Monday night and we carried on afterwards at Julie's apartment and despite leaving 'early' I didn't get to bed until just before 3am (party animal, I am). Needless to say, the 6am wake-up for work the following day was not the easiest!


As I was boarding the bus at Carpentras and said morning to my favourite bus driver he greeted me with an even bigger smile than normal and told me he'd seen me in the paper. We're now on first name terms. Managed to survive my back-to-back school day on 3 hours sleep and crashed straight into bed when I eventually got home that evening.

It was Drew's birthday on Wednesday so a couple of us went across the river to hang out for the afternoon despite the hormonal weather which couldn't decide if it wanted to be sunny or rainy. It did mean there was a rainbow though.


Brian and I went to tandem at Camili Books and Tea then Chelsea, Megan and Amy joined us for 4,50€ pizza we'd been planning on trying for weeks. Turned out to be the best pizza we'd had in Avignon so far, we'll be keeping that place in mind for future.

Have just spontaneously booked to go to Toulouse with Niamh for the weekend (we're having withdrawal symptoms after Orcières) so we'll be heading off to explore la Ville Rose tomorrow morning!

A la semaine prochaine,

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment