Thursday 21 January 2016

Week 17 - Getting Ill Abroad

Surviving sickness abroad, snow and Avignon explorations 

Last weekend was a little less exciting than previous ones as I was cooped up in bed for most of it after coming down with something nasty. Fortunately it was only a 48 hour thing and by Sunday I was back to normal and felt a million times better after my panicked Skype call home. Being ill is never fun but especially not in a foreign country. At least they're big on their meds over here - pharmacies are more common than Starbucks in New York.

I did manage to get out the house on Saturday for an interview with a journalist called Arnaud for La Provence, the regional newspaper. He had found me on twitter (shamelessly plugging my blog) and was interested in what I got up to as a language assistant in the area. We discussed everything from my day-to-day schedule and the cultural differences I've experienced as a Brit in the south of France. Watch this space for the article if it goes to print!

I had to say farewell to Honorine this weekend too as she's off to do a semester abroad in Argentina! Pauline and I were really sad to see her go but hopefully we'll stay in touch, good old Skype and Snapchat eh. As a parting gift she brought round her microwave and toaster so our kitchen is now looking seriously well-equipped.

Although the weather has seriously taken a cold turn - Emma's friend Emily was visiting from the Alps and said it's even colder where we are - the sun has also been shining so we've had some beautiful days. I'm really starting to appreciate where I live, going for walks around the city and enjoying the impressive historical sites. Emma's moved here from Vedène now which is very exciting - even more assistants in Avi!



Me and Kate exploring Avi
The park just outside my apartment

On Tuesday I got a very nice surprise en route to work. After a sleepy start, I changed buses at Carpentras to continue on to my first school in Malaucène. As the bus turned the corner into the town I was quickly woken up by the sight of snow everywhere! Unfortunately by lunchtime it had already melted, but it was fun while it lasted. The town is in the mountains though (it's right at the bottom of Mont Ventoux) so I've been assured there will be more snow to come.


A group of us assistants went along to the tandem conversation evening at Camili Books and Tea on Wednesday, which is always such a great opportunity to speak French. Lots of the regular crowd were there and some of the people are so interesting to talk to - one man knows loads about the area and was explaining the history of Mont Ventoux. I also met a wine expert who passed on some wisdom as to where to find the best wine in the region.


DJ Vessel (Ryan) was playing at Pub Z on Thursday night so the assistant family went out to support him, although as lots of us had early starts the following morning it wasn't quite as an eventful night as last time but was good fun all the same and great to catch up with lots of people I hadn't seen since the holidays.


DJ Vessel

I'm off to Paris this weekend for a long weekend with the girls! We'll also be making a trip to Disneyland which we've all been looking forward to for so long, can't wait!

Bisous,

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment