Friday 13 November 2015

Week 7 - French Rugby

This week I've experienced a French rugby match, pot-luck and an unusual amount of November sunshine.

This has been a good week regarding admin (finally). Last Friday night I went out for drinks with a few assistants and I made the discovery that as language assistants we qualify for a free bus pass in the Vaucluse region. This means I no longer have to pay 8€ every time I make the return journey to my schools. Happy days! Straight after work on Monday I bee-lined to the office and was issued my very own shiny bus pass there and then.

On Saturday France were playing Scotland in a rugby league game in Avignon so a couple of us British assistants booked to go along. We had a fab afternoon watching the game with our chips and beer (well-earned after spinning that morning) and there was a great atmosphere, especially as France won! Everyone came back to mine that evening and Pauline had some friends round too so we had an amusing time speaking franglais.





At school this week I've been educating the kids on British culture and they were impressed by the fact that the Queen is on all our money. It was quite a challenge explaining the parts of the U.K. to seven year olds, who refused to believe me when I drew a picture of England's flag and were adamant that the whole of the U.K. was called England. I've also been teaching parts of the body which has been fun, lots of singing of Head, shoulders, knees and toes and games of Simon Says



On Tuesday night a group of assistants hosted a 'pot-luck' - basically everyone brings along a dish to share for dinner. Loads of us went along and we had an impressive buffet. I baked chocolate chip cookies for dessert which actually turned out ok despite the fact I didn't have any weighing scales so had literally just thrown ingredients together.

Most of us get Wednesday's off normally, but no one had to work this Wednesday due to Armistice Day. The weather has been surprisingly sunny and even according to the locals this is unusual for November. To make the most of it, we crossed the bridge over the Rhone and went for a picnic on L'îsle de la Barthelasse and enjoyed people, or mainly dog, watching. The French really do live up to their stereotype of having tiny well-groomed canines. 



In other admin news my French SIM card has finally arrived (hallelujah). I've got a huge data plan and unlimited calls to the UK so it has made my bus journeys a lot more entertaining. Next thing on my list is to change my address at the bank - although moving has been great I can't say it's helped with the paperwork. In order to change my address I have to bring in a utility bill with my name on - a housing contract doesn't prove where you live apparently. The woman at the bank definitely knows who I am now and gave me a serious "you again" glare last time I went in. Might try a different branch next time!

Sister Skype sesh

Went to see Spectre with Annie on Thursday night, which didn't disappoint. For those of you who've seen it, we found it a funny coincidence that there's a restaurant called L'Américain situated right outside the cinema.

I'm off to Paris now for a long weekend to visit Frances, my friend from school who is working there, and Ollie from Exeter!

Ciao,

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment